Friday, February 17, 2012

Multi modal writing frames

Today I had a magic break through. We are creating a circus slide show. Each child has a letter of the alphabet and initially they had to brainstorm the words they knew with the same initial sounds, but directly in a PowerPoint presentation.
To be honest this cool idea was from Tim Rylands when he visited our school. Have you ever wished you could write directly into a PowerPoint presentation as you were presenting, or have groups write directly into a presentation as they view it without having to go back to the layout mode and write in a text box.
You know the way things go, the text box moves, someone deletes it etc. Disaster. Not a good look.


I have discovered how to do multimodal writing frames, as Tim calls it . As you can see from this presentation, which in view mode there are 2 sides of a text box for the children to write in, AND it’s in view mode, no one can, change alter, or delete. The wee sweethearts could watch a video clip and then add their thoughts etc

So how is it done? I’m using Word 2003, and MM writing is created differently in different versions of Word.

Open PowerPoint and go to blank layout, then
Toolbars
Control toolbox
The 2nd tool down on the left is an AB icon for text box.
Click on this and create a text box. Looking at your drawn text box you can only see 2 sides.
Right hand mouse click in the box and go to properties
Scroll down the long list to Enter key behaviour and select True. ( Change from false)
This allows you to write in the box
Continue to scroll to Mutiline and change that to true
This one allows you to use the enter/ return key and carry on writing to Africa. Or Vietnam for that matter.

Go to view mode. Write till your heart is content and then share the knowledge.

Let me know if you can’t get this to work and I may have to amend the instructions and write ones for Word 2007.

I copy and paste this text box in all my slides, as I don’t want to go through “the above” everytime I make a text box.

3 comments:

Marg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marg said...

This sounds intriguing. Will it work on my macbook pro with only a trackpad? We've now got huge TV screens in each room that we can hook up to instead of a data projector although there will be times when I think I would prefer to use one of those.
Sorry about the deleted comments - I don't know how I managed to get two the same on and I had a typo error!