Friday, February 03, 2012

Influencing practice. Valuing work?




I've become a little concerned lately about "habits" I believe the students have adapted when storyborading and when using Kid Pix on the computer. A quick storyboard and then a picture hurridly thrown together followed by the words "I'm done" has been developing into a culture. I noticed the last lessons for Year 2, some of the work, boys in paticular, was rather haphazard with stick figures as people. If my teacher instincts didn't know better I would think they were racing with each other, there doesn't seem to be any value placed on their work. This week I have really targetted planning and drawing, taking time to think about the pictures, taking time to draw carefully. I have focused in on hands and feet of circus characters in Year 2 On that theme I have also been put in my place by a a little sweetheart in Year 1 who told me I had failed to notice caterpillars have very fine hair on their backs! If thats what the powers of observation and think about drawings do, bring it on!
Today the end products are so much better.
Will this change of practice be embedded? Will their work be valued by themselves, their teacher, and their peers? Is minimal effort and work acceptable in other rooms?
We have new notice boards around the school so I am determined to showcase good practice and careful thoughtful drawing, not always the best work, but the best from the individual students. The windows facing the corridor and the school intranet will soon feature stunning Year 1 and 2 ICT drawings.

1 comment:

Marg said...

Awesome lion tamer and lion!