Saturday, February 04, 2012

The construction saga continues




The construction continues, and so does the noise, well into the night. It would appear the Vietnamese owner of British School, Maurice, is a powerful and affluent individual. He has successfully obtained a writ from The People’s Committee limiting the activity on the construction site now to 1:am. This ruling of course is pushed to the boundary, excuse the pun, some what by the constructors, who have deliveries around 1 am, but at least its not 5 am. The trucks and the concrete mixers are arriving at 9’ pm now almost like a wake up call at bed time.
From about 7 pm to 9 there is a definite down time, while the men wait for the next delivery. At 9pm there is a flurry of activity once more
The construction company has erected a small dwelling on the boundary where the men now live on site. They sleep in the upper level and live/ eat/play cards in the lower level, and currently I can count 20 men working. The dwelling I hasten to add, is a few sheets of construction ply and roofing iron and an orange tarpaulin. We are into the dry season, it shouldn’t rain for the foreseeable future.
I can’t really see a great deal of progress on the site apart from a few pipes / piles driven into the ground along the boundary fence.
Maurice, who by coincidence is owner of our apartment block, is providing double glazing on all the windows that over look the site. Of course glazing started this morning on various apartments. The glaziers are fitting another set of windows, push out variety over the current slide to open mulit paned windows. My glazing is to be done on Thursday. Currently there is a definite high pitched cacophony of noise, the street, the constructors and the glaziers.
I popped onto my balcony when the glaziers began working on the floor below me this morning. There was one wee individual perched on the window sill using a drill of sorts. He is 4 floors up and the window sill is just that, a sill, a small ledge. He has no harness, and no helmet.
Labour is cheap, I can’t comment on working conditions, but living conditions are very third world, and yet I am sure many would clamber, pardon the pun again, for the job. I, as a Westerner, take the legislation we have in place in NZ protecting the rights of all concerned, for granted.

1 comment:

ianmac said...

Living conditions look s basic. And I bet they have no vacuum cleaner. Washing is on the line. Wonder how they get it clean?