Friday, February 10, 2012

Late night / early morning Faulty Towers


It would appear that the construction company working below my apartment are not abiding to the regulations set by The People's Committee. Late night deliveries and construction SHOULD cease at 12:00 midnight. However for 3 days this week we have had rather late night/ early morning deliveries. This picture is of huge concrete blocks being delivered just after 2:00 am. The story gets better. The atmosphere is very still and everyone yelling directions can be easily heard. The blocks are obliviously heavy and the hydraulic lift on the truck has to work hard to lift the blocks off the truck. Worse is the noise from the hydraulic lift if the blocks on the ground have to be lifted up again and repositioned. The energy need to complete the lift creates a high pitched whine. The second truck arrived about 2:30 am, and continued the noisy process for over an hour. The better news is last night the steel to accompany the blocks was delivered between 1 and 3:00 am. I'm saving the best piece of news for the last. These huge concrete blocks will soon be hammered/ driven / thumped into the ground for the foundations. I can hardly wait.
Yeah right.
One needs to be proactive rather than reactive. Rather than throw my self under the first truck, I have videoed the unloading of the concrete blocks, from inside my apartment and the noise is still loud. I'm going to try and compress it and send it to Shaun the CEO and principal of the school, just so he appreciates how load it really is. Why should I have all the fun? Next delivery I'm going to video it on my iPhone and send it too him / email it too him.... Straight away??? Depends on how many late nights I have had. If you really want a laugh, the whole saga reminds me of a Basil Faulty episode. Just as the site quietens, and relief sweeps over us, sleep begins to invade our thoughts, the whole process starts again, and we are jerked back into reality. "Cybil"

2 comments:

ianmac said...

And I guess that the workers who live onsite must also be stressed. And curious that the blocks are delivered pre-made rather than poured on site?
A single click on the picture does enlarge it and improve the detail.

Marg said...

Do you think you could get someone to write a sign in Vietnamese that reads "Big Brother Is Watching You" (with a picture of a camera) and post somewhere in the workplace? You never know the effect it might have.....!