

At British International School all teachers are expected to take an extra curricula club after school for one hour every week. The objective is to involve the children in some sort of recreational activity after school. Many of our children come from very well to do homes where both parents work, and nanny or the driver picks the children up from school. The child then goes home and plays computer games or watches TV, so extra curricula clubs is about fostering an interest and perhaps trying something new. There are quite a wide range of clubs offered, ballet, fan dancing, football, swimming, art, jewellery making rock climbing, lego, choir, orchestra etc. Some involve a cost however many are free. Students can enrol in 2 free clubs a week, and up to 4, I believe, clubs per week.
My mother was an avid knitter and she had balls of wool to Africa and beyond. I grabbed a huge carry-all full of wool when I was in NZ and this term I have offered knitting club. Today was day 1 and I have 10 girls enrolled, from Year3 to 6. Two of the older students can knit, they just didn’t have the wool, and after my club today perhaps 3 more can manage plain knitting. The idea is that we will make peggy squares and sew them together to make a blanket of some type. Our school has community links with a local orphange so perhaps some wee sweetheart will love a snugly blanket. I have been told that in the local market you can buy wool and knitting needles, although I’ve not seen evidence of any … yet. In the meantime we had lots of slip one, drop one and a few knit ones, and my ladies went home armed with a big ball of wool and the beginnings of a peggy square. Watch this space week 2 unravelling fast.
1 comment:
So! No boys huh?
Post a Comment