Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Knitting club Week 4


I was talking with my brother on the phone on Sunday afternoon and he commented that my knitters looked so serious. I wouldn’t say serious I’d call it concentration. They really are focused as they knit. In the first week or two everyone sat on the mat, together, collectively, possibly giving support to each other. It is interesting to note that in the last 2 weeks the girls have started to sit on chairs dotted around the classroom together in pairs. As they knit they are beginning to talk with each other, in their own language, not in English. I believe they are becoming more relaxed, more confident with their knitting and moving into a different and social sphere
My brother, as he has cleaned and tidied up our Mums house, has unearthed bag loads of wool. I have decided to continue with knitting club next term and I’ll get the girls to make a scarf and possibly a hat, for the onset of winter! Here’s hoping he can get some more wool posted up to me. Winter temperatures here in HCMC drop down to about 23 in the day time, and much lower up in the mountain area and North towards Hanoi. Many of the students although holding expat passports were born in HCMC, therefore 23 down from 40 is cold.

2 comments:

Marg said...

I look at those wooden chairs and it takes me back years. Our new entrant classroom chairs are lovely red molded plastic that stack, are light, comfy to sit in, and look great. The teacher's chair is just a bigger version of the same.

ianmac said...

You may have to check the temperatures. Ho Chi Minh average daytime temperature ranges from 30 -34 degrees with the March average being 34 degrees.

Click go the needles,
Click click click.
Long grow the knitters
As they knit in their pairs.
Ding goes the bell
And its time to go off home
Off go the knitters with
Cheeks all aglow.