Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Digital photography day


The server for my TX campus crashed big time last night. One might even go as far as saying it blew itself to bits. This of course comes as little surprise to those of us on the shop floor. The poor old thing has been limping along for ages, and the powers to be keep up the usual rhetoric of an institution. New server coming October mid term break, oops now coming over the Christmas break. Currently they are talking over the summer holiday at the end of this academic year. The Arabs had the right word, inshallah, sometime.
We have very limited access to anything computer wise, so I am taking this enforced layover as an opportunity to do some digital photography with all my class. We have talked about and practiced taking a “good” digital photo, rule of thirds, allowing your camera to focus before taking the picture etc etc. The Year 5s took some great images. Here they are on the carpet working with their partner, deleting all the unwanted images until they had 3 remaining. We also talked about camera safety as there is a slight blasé attitude and we are 1 camera less in our set of 10. Not of our doing I might add, but damaged none the less. Getting a set of digital cameras was the first big successful push I managed when I arrived at BIS TX, so I desperately need to protect the limited resource.

1 comment:

ianmac said...

Perhaps the kids could photgraph a sequence of photos,maybe those three or five. Others then try to guess the "correct" order. No correct answer but debate the possibilities.