Monday, September 07, 2009

OMG. Dubai


Sheryl and I went to Dubai for the weekend. More pics coming during the week. On Friday, the first day of our weekend we rode a double-decker hop on, hop off bus to see the sites. Wow did we get a look at how the elite live, the affluence and opulence of the Emirate.
In the evenings we visited many of the souqs, the tiny shops tucked away in small alleys. The gold souq is a must. In all my travels I have never seen as many precious gems, the gold and silver in one place, and as many Western people purchasing. The husbands standing in the background credit cards poised and the wife choosing another ring to fit on yet another finger because 3 are already full with rings of escalating value and size.
Here's Sheryl outside one of the many gold shops and yes the yellow is all gold chain etc, not a poor photo with a yellow lens.
The other really enjoyable thing is being approached by men offering you handsbags with a patter that went something like this. Hand bag Madam, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, designer bags, all genuine fakes, madam you want to buy". Shopping UAE style!

2 comments:

Marg said...

I have a photo of the very same shop in the gold souk. Absolutely dazzling walking through that souk with all the gold hanging about. I hope you managed to find the spice souk nearby.
Marg.

ianmac said...

Just discovered that when clicking on image Cheryl becomes lifesize and the gold becomes golder.