Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Border run into Oman and back





Lots of newbies in the company have been here for a month on a visitors visa while we all wait for our residency, held up of course by Ramadan. At the end of the month you do a border run into Oman, the country next door to us and return with your passport stamped for another 30 days. Although I have been here 2 weeks I am now in sinc with the others, so today I was on the list for a border run. Al Ain city itself sits on the border with Oman and parts of the city are over the border in Burami. A city divided physically like Berlin City, not divided politically. So we exited out through Burami drove the 17 k to the Oman border post and then drove back through another border post just out of Al Ain city.
This end of Oman has very rocky hills that you drive through, alongside shale land forms and parched desert dotted with brushwood bushes. Further afield rising out of the haze are another range of hills and another rang of hills, Rather beautiful from a photographers point of view with the deep contrasts. A rather unforgiving place. Then obliviously around a wee oasis is a small holding with a family eking out a living farming. The NZ equivalent of a 2 hectare block. I saw a herd of goats and a few feral camels munching on brushwood. Today was lovely, seeing different sights, the contrasts and being able to snap pictures with out concentrating on the driving. I'm definitely going back.

No comments: