Friday, July 19, 2013

Postonja Caves

The Postonja Caves are renown around the region as being the oldest and longest caving system in the world, with more caves being discovered from the already established network. This morning was a caving expedition. At Postonja we travelled inside the main cave about 2 kms on a train, the rails for which were laid over 100 years ago. You then take part in a guided tour in a circular fashion around and through various caves back to the starting point and train out. Once you are in the centre of the system no  photography is allowed so the few photos I quickly took we're on the train. The 1700 m walk with the stalagmites and stalagmites every which way were impressive in their size and structure. Only after Ian asked the question did I learn that glow worms are only found in NZ caves.


Driving back along the motorway to Koper is an experience. The motorway is tolled and a magnificent structure. There are 2 sets of tunnels, each one a dual carriage way for traffic going in that direction. The second tunnel must be about 10 kms long. The motorway passes over a huge viaduct, curving around from one  high ridge to another. Its good to be back driving on superior roads again, so similar to the driving in UAE. Auckland and New Zealand has lots to learn from the reading infrastructure. While I accept it may be expensive to build, the road is well used and top quality. It makes motoring a pleasure . One could really get to like this country. 

3 comments:

Marg said...

I googled Postonjq Caves and chose images - Wow!
How did they compare to Waitomo?

Izzy said...

I copied Marg's idea and googled the caves. They are amazing, almost gargoyle-like and 'out of this world'. You are certainly seeing the sights over there!

Unknown said...

neat