There are 4 towns on the Slovenian coast, Koper, Isola, Piran and Portoroz. The first three are medieval towns, the fourth being a newly created town for the tourists coming to the beach who like restaurants, bars and a sandy beach. Piran is described as a Venice look alike with out all the tourists. Cars are prohibited from entering, a free shuttle bus takes you into the main square. The streets are small, narrow and cobbled. We enjoyed wandering around taking photos and generally imaging life 2 or 3 centuries ago.
While there were people wandering around I wondered where were the stated huge number of visitors who come to this area. On a drive by, through Portoroz I discovered the answer. Lounging on the sandy beaches, in the huge new hotels, casinos, bars and restaurants enjoying the facilities of modern day life.
In all the inlets are marinas and small hamlets, home to varying size, construction and wealth of zillions of boats.
A promenade has been created in Piran by placing huge rocks creating a sea wall to stop the sea encroaching on the land. All along the promenade bronzed bodies lounge on the rocks like lizards lapping up the sunshine, cooled by frequent dips in the sea. While I'm a water lover, I chose to be cooled by yet another tasty ice cream and keep exploring.






1 comment:
Love those narrow alleys in the old towns. Must be so nice with no cars.....
Post a Comment