


Emirates Palace Hotel the plush 6* hotel is hosting an exhibition of Islamic Embroidery in one of their many public auditoriums. There was quite a big write up in the paper today so while in Abu Dhabi with time to spare I went to visit, as one does. Cameras were not permitted but I did manage to capture a couple of pics on my cell phone. Tutt tutt. The pieces were absolutely exquisite, with hours and hours of stitching going into each and every piece.The photography doesn't do the work justice. Animals, especially goats feature and the sun, which is all tied into the Muslim faith. Some pieces are started by peasants and then completed by women with higher standing. Some of the pieces were cushion covers, table runners, door hangings and wall hangings. I've seen lots of embroided items for sale in UAE, none as magnificent as the embroidery today, and can now understand the significance of it all. When I first arrived in UAE I bought a bedcovering with elephants almost patched worked on and stitched around for 400 AED and I thought I'd got it for a reasonable price. While I love my elephants it is so very basic in comparison to the wonderful stitched work I saw today........ hmm next purchase. One could be very tempted to find and buy just one small piece... maybe in Istanbul in 2 weeks time.
2 comments:
Gorgeous! What an experience to be able to see such wonderful work. I guess this is the best of the best.
Also, being able to get inside that hotel must have been marvelous as well.
Actually I could do things like that. You should see the way I darn my socks. Mind you there is a short cut where you just pull the thread tightly like a noose and the hole disappears.
Perhaps the evident precision/art in Abu Dhabi embroidery would be just so much better than darned socks.
Post a Comment