Sunday, May 02, 2010

Barbara Kendel UAE



When I first started blogging I wrote a post about learning to windsurf. This weekend was Sheryl's birthday and we drove to Al Hamara, a beach resort in the Emirate of Ras Al Khamiah, North East of Dubai, in the Arabian Gulf. Today I looked out to see people windsurfing...... and of course I had to get out there myself. It was so good to be out on the water again, and surprising how things all flooded back remembering technique etc. The board was much smaller that my one, without a centre board so that made things a little bit harder. Typical hotel equipment... used by all wanna be windsurfers. The rig was much smaller than my one back in NZ, and quite manageable in the very light winds. These minor difficulties aside I managed about 4 really good runs across to a wee island in the harbour. There was of course the dejavu photo... spot the top of my head.
Way back in 2005 we had gone to New Caledonia and I had tried windsurfing again. From there came the passion to buy a rig and learn.......... I need some more lessons.....and I just can't wait to do more. I once threatened I'd be in Chile on a windy day on my wind surfer> This time Iran looked a possibility. Don't think I'll make NZ thou. Barbara Kendel you have competition!

3 comments:

ianmac said...

Some person calling herself Barbara something phoned with a complaint that some woman was using her technique which she regards as copyright.
I bet warm waters are better than the chill of the Marlborough Sounds!

Moturoa said...

I remember that post- so you didn't have to wear your abya. Odd paradox there I think.

Allanah

Bruce Whitwell said...

Bruces Windsurfing School is thinking of opening a branch in the Middle East. You could be the instructor. :-) Looks like fun. Blimmin cold here. No Windsurfer to be seen.