Thursday, May 27, 2010

From the rooftops





This morning I was up and hanging the washing out at 5:30 am before I left for school. Early morning from the roof top was just fabulous. Warm, not hot, clear, quiet and really quiet beautiful. The city of Al Ain has very few high rise buildings and most apartments are 2 storied. To the west is a main arterial with a park further beyond. All the streets have palms planted along the median strip, which gives that green, enviro friendly, you are so not in a desert city feel. In the right foreground is the entry to our apartment block, off the little slip street off the main arterial, through the sand. This building has been designated a heritage site and the authorities are in the process of renovating. They claim it was one of the first buildings in Al Ain and was the home of a Sheikah, wife to the Sheik.
Behind me, to the south is a new apartment complex in the process of building. It won't be long before we have more neighbours. Between us and them are other single story homes, all with AC's and satelite dishes. To the East looking over the poorer part to the area are some homes of very interesting Muslims. The men sit outside every evening and in the week end. I NEVER see any women, although once I saw one pushing a wee toddler on a homemade swing. I see the children in the weekends as well. These homes have no outside windows and tons of interesting items on the roof, holding down the iron and other assorted roofing materials.In mid photo is a building site, been derelict since I have lived here and an International hotel. In the very far background in Jebel Hafet, said Har feet, our "mountain". Its beautiful at night with all the lights.
This morning it all felt a bit Mary Poppinsish, up and about on the rooftops before the city was awake.

1 comment:

ianmac said...

Oh what a beautiful morning,
Oh what a beautiful day!

No lawns to mow? No gardens to weed? Lucky you, or not.