

As you enter the township of Al Hayer an enterprising person has erected 2 pens with young camels for sale. Over the last week there has been a gradual increase in camles numbers. Today on my way home I stopped to investigate further and definitely not purchase. The first pen of 10 camels was initially flighty as I approached but after a while wandered, as camels do, back to the hayrack and continued feeding. The owner is feeding these beasts bailed lucerine. Incidentally today on my way to work I passed a truck loaded with haybales. A first! The camels have almost finished malting, and one or two look a wee bit scruffy around the edges, but otherwise they are in really good condition. Against the pen is a piece of card board box with the owner's cell number and the price incase you want to purchase. So casual really. I'm not sure of the asking price for each camel but I am lead to believe it ranges from 50,000 to 150,000. I wonder what the import regulations are on camels into NZ?
3 comments:
Hey why not buy a couple of camels. They would be companions for your elephant collection.
Might have to spend some time in quarantine though, and can you guarantee them enough sand when they get here?
Most camels that I know Marg, love to gambol like lambs when they can if put into lush paddocks. Camels and elephants could snuggle up together to counter a frosty night. Put pressure on the dairy industry unless we make elephant and camel butter. Sorted.
Post a Comment