Saturday, May 08, 2010

Rod Stewart and Spandau Ballet

I know..... overkill with the pics, but why not. I was THERE!






Why did I come to the UAE? I came to live and work in another culture and to take up opportunities that living in the UAE would/ could provide. Last night Rod Stewart and Spandau Ballet played in a combined concert, and I was there. The venue was The Sevens stadium so they could pack in a real crowd, and believe me, every piece of rugby turf was taken as well as the stands. Initially when bookings opened I was told an outdoor concert in May would be too hot. However as time moved along the evening temperatures are still enjoyable. So my decision on Wednesday was why not? I had missed the cut of for online tickets so decided to make a day in Dubai and see if I could find the booth at the stadium for day sales, which I couldn't. Oh well tough luck no concert book earlier. Once in Dubai I went Virgin Books to buy some music CDs; one gets desperate sometimes to listen to Western music, and there at the counter were Rod Stewart concert tickets for sale! One can't resist these opportunities especially the cost $120 NZ for 4 hrs of entertainment, not to mention the music.
Spandau Ballet were great, not that I knew many of their songs... Through the baricades and one or two others. After almost 2 hours they were followed by the Rodfather himself, and did he perform. He sang lots of old numbers and lots of newer hits. He was supported by a back up band of 13 including 5 females. Three were backing singers but for me the female sax player, and the trumpet player were fantastic and multi talented playing a number of other instruments through the concert. In lots of his songs Rod stopped singing and had a musical accompaniment where he showcased one or some of his group and they played solos. This was just one fabulous night.
Living in the UAE has given me opportunities to attend many sporting and cultural performances like this. The Sheik of course wants to increase the exposure of his country to the world, by hosting many international events and building facilities to host such occasions as only he could do. So why not attend?

2 comments:

ianmac said...

We are sailing,
we are sailing,
Cross the sandhills
Cross the skies.
We are selling
Pricey tickets
Come along!
Oh Yeah.

Sounds like fun!

Marg said...

Lucky you. I agree. Take advantage of every opportunity.