Today I noticed that the green bags hanging under the dates have a few dates in the bottom. I had wrongly assumed that the net like bags were to keep birds and vermon away from the ripening dates. Maybe so. However as the dates ripen they are falling off the bunches into the bottom of the bag. What an easy way to avoid picking up zillions of dates. The bags have long strings on the bottom so the wee men empty the dates out that way. The strings are quite noticeable so perhaps they have been busy emptying bags for the last week.
The other day I was at my boys school wearing my abya as one does. My teachers were standing on the landing above me and I was talking with them as I came up the stairs. First mistake. I know you are a woman but try to avoid talking, thinking, breathing, and climbing the stairs Jocelyn. I tripped on my abya and fell flat on my face on the stairs. My teachers are Emirati men and they can not touch a Western woman. So they remained stead fast with looks of horror on their faces as I was sprawled out. Quickly as one does because one is a woman, I got up bruised knees, damaged pride and all, started giggling, avoided saying OMG or any other expletive and continued hobbling up the stairs brushing the dust off my abya and laughing as I came up... like I do this all the time. The relief that washed over their faces, because firstly I was laughing about it all and secondly they didn't have to come down and deal with a crumpled heap of Western woman. All I can say is thank heavens for a long abya. Imagine showing a bit of leg, or more as I went down.
5 comments:
Go on! Just looking for a date weren't you?
Raises an interesting question of course. What would happen if you were incapacitated?
Lydia's Kiwi daughter Anne was a nurse in the 90s for the ailing Sheik in Dubai. The no touch presented a cultural/nursing problem for them. I believe that as his health deteriorated further, he had to make concessions for the sake of his health.
What would they have done if you had broken your leg??
Good question Moturoa.
1. They could leave her there till her leg healed
2. They could lend her a walking stick.
3.They could get her to roll onto a blanket and carry it at a corner each.
4. They could pray.
5. She could pray.
6. She could pray and eat dates.
7. She could text for a district Nurse.
8. Or she could be more careful next time.
Jocelyn, I'm sure you measured your length with style!
Post a Comment