Friday, June 25, 2010

Almost an international incident

Tonight I went down to the Intercontinetal Hotel to watch NZ play Paraguay. The horse and jockey bar, oh so English has about 6 big screen TV's showing the NZ match. In stormed one lone Italian supporter and questions the manager:
" All the TVs are showing New Zealand playing. I demand that you change and show Italy playing". Being screened simultaneously
To which the manager replied
" The bar has quite a high number of New Zealand supporters at the moment so we are screening the NZ game"
" The are rubbish. Italy are the world champions. I demand you change and show Italy playing"
After some discussion with the manager pointing out that there were quite a few ( about 14)NZ patrons, and the Italian getting very stroppy.
The conversation continued as the Italian screamed at the manager
" The are rubbish. Italy are the world champions. I demand you change and show Italy playing".
He eventually stormed over and sat at one end of the room and watched the Italian match. Au revoir Italy. Viva New Zealand. I know thats French....... but you get the idea.
We're going home too, but not as defeated world champions and bottom of the group!

1 comment:

ianmac said...

Spare a thought for those loyal NZers who don't have your comfort of a 6pm start. We brave souls had the dubious pleasure of watching from 2am and what a great game it was. Go the All Black Whites!