Saturday, June 05, 2010

Gecko visitor


This wee chap has been living in my apartment for the last week and today I finally put him out in my small patio so he can leave/ take his chances in the world. I know I have nothing beside him to give you a reference, he was unco-operative and wouldn't stay still, however he is about 4- 5 cms long. I initially noticed him on my bed, then on the floor of my bedroom and today he was inside my dressing gown. He is the first small animal insect life that I have seen since I arrived, apart from ants which are really common and a few flies that lurked around at school in the winter months. Very small ants are common in the apartment. If you drop food on the floor eg a peanut (this is generic statement, not based on fact or experience at all!!) Maybe a day or so later you will notice the peanut covered in these very small blacks ants. I did have an influx of bigger ants way back in early December but a bit of a spray around with insect spray for ants and cockroaches took care of them. I have to say my gecko is beautifully coloured, camouflaged for the surroundings, so that will give you an idea of the colour of the sand. Further out in the desert you get beautiful red sand, but around town beige is the in "colour".

2 comments:

ianmac said...

What would a fried gheko taste like, or is that in poor taste?

Marg said...

Gorgeous markings on the gecko. I think you are lucky to have seen it as geckos are renown for being shy.