Our topic was learning styles, visual, auditory and kinesthetic.
Neil opens by introducing the topic and Uday our translator does his bit, every few sentences. First pic.

For a starter activity Neil got the guys into pairs and got one of the pair to draw a picture. The drawer then became the explainer and described his picture to his partner, and the partner drew the picture dependent on the explanation with out seeing the pic. This activity was dependent on auditory skills.
QUESTION: HOW WELL DO YOU LISTEN? Are you an auditory learner?





The second activity was for the partner to draw a picture without showing the other. He then showed his picture for 1 second and the partmer had to draw the piture, establishing the powers of a visual learner.
QUESTION: HOW WELL DO YOU LOOK? Are you an visual learner?
These activites were real fun and the guys had lots of fun listening, and drawing or showing and drawing. Some of the drawings were close.

My turn next and I got the group to take a quick learning styles test. At the bottom you added up the number of responses in each column to establish what type of learner you could be. We then wrote our names on Post-its and stuck them on a chart under the respective learning syles.
One of my fellow advisers made an interesting comment. All but 2 of the 30 staff present were either visual or kinethetic learners. Information taken from the Post-its on the chart, 2 of course being auditory. We all know the boys don't listen, so why is it that the preferred teaching method is auditory?????
I then invited 4 guys from the audience, Mike and Neil from our company, and Emad and Ibraham two teachers I work and talk with. On each of the tables were definitions of each learning style and 3 cards V, A and K. Each table had to guess what type of learner the 4 were. A bit sneaky as there were 3 learning styles and 4 guys. Funnily enough the groups picked Neil as a visual learner and Mike as Kinethetic, but they didn't have a clue about their own colleague's learning styles.
There were other activites etc and for at least one teacher the light came on.....
The others? Who knows. I'm back at the girls school tomorow so I won't be around for the feed back. I wonder if anyone will comment when I am back?
I felt it was a really good session, a tad long by about 15 minutes, but guaging the engagement and the interactions, not too bad. It will be interesting to see if there is a slight change in classroom delivery...... Inshallah, and if there is feedback from the teachers.
Did I make a difference to student learning today..... Not today maybe but I hope so and I hope tomorrow some students are not talked at.
2 comments:
Let's hope that more than one lightbulb came on in the group. I wonder how many will go back and try the activities with their students? I will be interested in whether you do get any feedback from it all.
Of course they were mere males so I guess they would all be set in their ways. Some of them probably do talk too much- maybe.
Post a Comment