Sunday, February 13, 2011

Eric Clapton




Eric Clapton was in concert in Abu Dhabi last night. While I'm not an avid fan of Eric and his music I decided to rock along to his concert. How many opportunites am I going to get to listen to great rockers and for 200 AED a ticket why not? Eric played for 2 hours straight and played some old favourites and some material I hadn't heard before. His backing band of 4 were fantastic especially the drummer, seen in one of the pics, along with the 2 backing singers. Eric played 3 different guitar types through the night and just kept on playing and playing. It was an amazing night, and amazing too the way the night panned out.
Firstly alcohol was available. Beer was on sale, however I didn't see any people worse for wear. The crowd all seemed quite sober, sitting around on the grass intent on having a good time.
The concert was held at Yas Island. This venue was built to host the Formula One series. The autorities are now using the venue for lots of concerts and other promotions. It's out of the city, so like us, many people went out early and stopped off at one of the four big international hotels on the Island for a meal and a few drinks before hand. Free shuttle buses ran from the hotels to the venue and then free buses ran from the venue back into the city after the concert. So why would you drive a car and walk 20 mins from the carpark to the venue when a bus practically does door to door delivery? The authorities or promoters really know how to make it easy for you to attend, and Eric just continued to make the evening magic.
Stevie Wonder plays at the same venue in March... so why not?


Our group of 4 caught a tax

4 comments:

ianmac said...

I can see a flood of Eric CDs pushing the elephants aside.

Izzy said...

So there is no lack of entertainment over there - no need to resort to dominoes or rummikub. I can't say that I'm familiar with Eric Clapton's music but will endeavour to find some and listen to it.

Marg said...

Too good a price not to snap up. Bet the atmosphere was great.

Dave Parsons said...

Good on ya girl. Ange is most envious as Eric has been high on her list of all-time favourites for may years. He is one skilled guitarist!