

This weekend a group of us from the company went across the border into Oman and through the mountains to Sohar beach, rumored to be the home of Sinbad the sailor. We stayed at a hotel built to resemble a fort. Oman was once invaded by the Portuguese and the coastline is dotted with forts as a means of protection. There is not a lot to see in Sohar. Their town fort and museum were under repair. NO visitors welcome. This was ideal for me as I sat in a lounger, walked on the beach and swam in the pool.
So what did I notice and learn?
Every evening the whole township turned out onto the beach and the teenagers played soccer. The whole beach as far as the eye could see is marked out with football goals, the sea as one sideline and the break wall the other. Literally up and down the beach were tens of games of football taking place.
The houses in Sohar were quite different to anything I have seen before. Very low , enclosed structures with an inner courtyard. The front door opened out onto the road, showing quite a large foyer, and through the foyer a small courtyard. The main rooms came off the foyer.
Fishing is one of the main occupations. Small 4 to 5 metre dinghies with an outboard motor are pulled up on the sand. Fishing nets are hung outside the front of the houses
The Omanian weekend is Thursday and Friday. Today Saturday, the kids were back in school.
4 comments:
Not many mermaids in that pool! Interesting that Oman has a different weekend. I thought it was all about Muslim positioning.
No mermaids Ian, they were all back at work!
That football on the beach must have been quite a sight. Did you get a picture of it?
But Marg. I thought that loving mermaids lounged languidly lisping a turgid welcome to a watery loop in the pool. Then on Sunday can the workers unite as they rush back to the toil!
Oh Ian, I love your alliteration!
Post a Comment