Thursday, January 27, 2011

I learn more, but question less

Ali is very devout and occassionally we have chats about Islam and the Islamic faith. I'm unsure if he sees me as a potential convert, or conversley he is such a sincere man he is telling me these things to keep me up to speed with why the students are like they are. We were moderating after all, and talking seemed a better idea than student moderation. Typical off task behaviour.
There are a few other rules that males must abide by. Clipped finger nails, so no dirt lodges under the nail. Teachers keep nail clippers in their drawers for that very reason. Mens bodies must smell nice, with " perfume" which all helps to explain why they stand over these incense burner things. letting the aroma waft up their kandoras and around their bodies. Male hair must also be kept. Men must trim their beards and moustaches. This comes from a very devout man with an extra long beard, that I have to say is very well kept, and I have heard he brushes it. Ali then went on to say other hair must be groomed, including underarm hair and then he quickly indicated pubic hair too.
About this time I'm thinking maybe there is way too information here.....However he continues talking, telling me all males have to be circumcised, as a way of keeping the body clean. Wow way too much information here..... maybe moderation isn't so bad after all. Now its definitely a one sided conversation. I do have questions I want to ask....but I shall just ask them in my mind.
I reflect.
You hardly see any male with long hair, its always short and tidy, that fits with the trimming of the beard and moustache.
Males have designer stubble and fancy shaves whcih again makes the link to keeping hair tidy
They keep small sticks, about the width of a pencil, in their pockets with which they "pick" their teeth. Again they must keep their teeth clean. No food morsels in the mouth at prayer
Kandoras are always spotlessly white and well pressed.
Outwardly yes they do appear to take good care of their bodies. However UAE does have one of the highest rates of obesity and diabetes in the world. While spiritually this nation cares for its self, physcially they are killing themselves from the inside out.
time to get on with the moderation other wise we will be killed, not by the Prophet but an authority almost as revered. ADEC!

2 comments:

ianmac said...

Being true to Spiritual beliefs and following a dress/cleanliness code should be good for a society. And having clear-cut rules about social interaction should also lead to a healthy society. But being so strongly influenced by the Western world must cause so much stress to those values in the long term. Especially from the viewpoint of the younger generation.

Marg said...

What a charming discussion - way more interesting than moderation! You never know what topic might come up next... are you up for it? Hee hee.