



The constructors have been busy working on the new building out the front of my apartment, all week. As I leave for school around 6:15am the men are out there working, I suspect starting at 6:00 am. It's very early morning, the daylight just seeping in at this time of the year, and quite cold, about 16 degrees, and the men are out there working. Late Thursday afternoon the concrete trucks arrived to pour large parts of the foundations. The whole process was quite interesting. First there was a concrete truck from which the concrete flowed to the red truck with the big elephant trunk that reached in over the fence to the part of the foundations and dispensed the concrete. In the UAE where you see people sweeping the roads and pathways with date palm leaves, and many people digging ditches by hand with shovels and a wheel barrow, concrete is dispensed with huge sophisticated machinery. However the heath and safety or the risk management on the construction is not visible. I think there may have been one hard hat and definitely not any industrial steel capped work boots.
Over the week the constructors have been taking on the, site carrying large sheets of what looked like a browny coloured hardboard. This has turned out to be the NZ equivalent of ply wood for the boxing.
Early Friday, around 6:00 ish I could hear lots of hammering. Friday is religious day and NOBODY works Friday morning. However these chaps were out removing the boxing around the foundations, as you can see from the photos taken from my roof.
Behind my apartment are a series of small houses, clustered together in a square. Over the last week I have noticed these have been gutted, the satellite dishes removed from the roof etc. On Wednesday evening workmen were there taking away what looked like hotwater cylinders from inside the buildings. On peeping through a door way the room had a whole lot of liter and an old mattress on the floor, resembling a squatters pad. They'll squat no more. Thursday afternoon up went the so called protective wall of ply to indicate a building, site on my side of the complex. This morning, Saturday, someone is out there with hammers going full force, I suspect nailing the ply all around this site. Let the building, and the noise, begin!
I'm unsure why there is such a dramatic increase in buildings / construction. You see it all around the city and inside the housing areas. They are currently building 2 new malls, with a third just opened last month. Everywhere there are new two storied apartment blocks being built. I know ADEC as one employer, are advertising for 1500 new teachers from the West to begin working in August in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, which includes Al Ain. The Asian / Indian workers don't live in these apartments, so within the next 18 months there must be a prediction of a huge influx of expats. I can understand this sort of building activity in Abu Dhabi and especially Dubai as trading / economic capitals, but Al Ain?? Unless you work in this city or surrounding area you wouldn't choose to live here and travel out at least 2 hrs to work.
3 comments:
Great to see the progress next door. I wonder how many levels they are going to be. The 'big elephant trunk' is known as a concrete pump - they will using one of those at our place to get concrete in our new patio area. I do smile at the low level of worker safety eg boots! It would be no good wondering what the work place accident stats are eh?
We can't quite make out where the those squatter apartments are located. Was the photo taken from your apartment roof?
Dave. The new new constuction photo is the view from the roof looking north, that is in the opposite direction to the building which we saw started.
I wonder where Jocelyn and co park now? Construction on both sides of them. Reckon she and the others should be given alternative accommodation for the duration. How on earth can Jocelyn give proper care to her elephants, giraffes and her camels?
Post a Comment