Friday, May 25, 2012

An ongoing cabling issue. Just add a bit more.



Wiring and ethernet cabling for the phone and  internet is a dogs breakfast here in Ho Chi Minh City. They even make T shirts showing a birds nest of cables around a pole. It's a logistics nightmare, as ALL the cabling is above ground, strung from pole to pole. It would be so hard to dig up the roadway or the footpath to run cables because ths roads are heaving now. Although that is not a solutions focused answer.
 I walked home from school last night and passed two men walking the other way. One had a huge roll of ethernet cabling and the other a long rod with a hook on the end.The first chap was walking down the street  running out the cable and the second man poking the cable up into the telegraph / power pole. I just didn't have my camera on hand to capture the moment. Further down the street this telco man was up the pole attaching the cable. I am assuming he was coiling and stablising the new ethernet.
While this looks a mess, this is one of the better more orderly poles and cabling. I shall post other photos. I live in District 1 which is the centre of the city and one of  the older parst of the city. I believe in the newer suburbs thay do have underground cabling. Note also a lack of saftey equipment, a proper ladder and a fellow workman guiding supporting. But hey, even with this setup I do have www access, most of teh time.

5 comments:

Marg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marg said...

Yes, it is fascinating seeing these cable nightmares. I thought the tangles we saw in Bangkok were bad but this one of yours certainly takes the cake!

ianmac said...

No mate. Not that one. Its the one over a bit. The black one. No not that one. Its a bit thinner. No. Up two and across to your right. No! Its......

Izzy said...

Birds' nest is the correct term! Amazing. Good to see that cabling goes underground in the newer areas.

Izzy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.