Thursday, January 19, 2012

Manchurian Funeral Music

This morning bright and early, 5:00 am, a group were out practicing a dragon dance on my street, I wrote earlier. Not so. I have been told by one of the other residents who has lived in Hanoi, that it was Manchurian Funeral Music. They played varying instruments, that ranged in sound from a brass band to local Vietnamese instruments with a sort of harpsichord sound. Men wore red Aoi dais, others in white walked around. The whole scene begins to make sense if I lay my Western knowledge and perspective over what I saw and heard.
On Sunday and Monday evening brass band music could be heard from a shop along from our apartments. This could now have been the beginning of the wake. This morning I saw people walking / carrying things towards the decorated wagon while the music was playing and then the wagon taken away. I'm beginning to think perhaps the body was being taken out from the shop area and placed in the decorated wagon, and then transported away.
The scene colourful and the music interesting to listen too. The circumstances? Some more questions to ask and some more learning to do.

No comments: