Saturday, January 14, 2012

Books AND English books.




Bookshops are scarce, and bookshops that sell English books are non existent in Ho Chi Minh City, until today.After asking Tue my teaching assistant and following his directions I managed to find a bookshop in the centre of the city. It has 2 rows of English books. OMG. It really was like a Saturday trip to the library. I managed to find a few titles by authors Dan Brown, Wilbur Smith, Ken Follett, Maeve Binchy and Sophie Kinsella. Then yahoo an Elizabeth Noble and a Jeffrey Archer..... which are now my next reads, and safely ensconced on my coffee table. Book prices here are very cheap for new paperbacks. 127,000 and 169,000 Dong respectively. A total of about $17 NZ for both.

Now speaking of books. My friend Jacqui, who is an avid and enthusiastic book reader, and I had discussed a book called Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand by Helen Simonson. Jacqui had read the book, enjoyed it and I was intent on obtaining a copy for a long time. Jacqui bought me a copy and gave it too me when I was in NZ. I must confess to trying to save it for my holiday read, but last week in amongst the noise of construction I haven’t been able to put it down. I am loving it, the unfolding story of the Major and Mrs Ali, and the wisdom of two people from 2 different cultures. Thank you so much Jacqui. Definitely a recommended read.

No comments: