Thursday, January 12, 2012

Good old fashioned cut and paste




This term I have decided to do things a little bit differently for my ICT classes. After planning and writing the unit I have created a booklet, with a front cover and the assessment rubric on the last page. The in-between pages contain storyboard templates, Kid Pix time lines and other pages where the students will need to do some written planning. The idea being I have all the student work in one booklet and the assessment on the back, so I have my evidence all accumulated together. At the end of the unit the booklets can go home minus the assessment rubric.
Year 1 for example are studying growing in their IPC topic, so my theme is The Hungry Caterpillar. Today we read the story which most of them knew something about, via a PowerPoint on the interactive whiteboard. I gave the students a sheet of paper with 8 images from the story. The students then had to do good old cut and paste and retell the story using only 6 of the images. Surprise there is a page with six boxes in the booklet, and an explanation about retelling and sequencing the story.
What did I notice?
The children really enjoyed cutting and pasting, all be it, ye old fashioned cut and paste.
Some precious girls don’t like to share
A couple of students had NO idea about sequencing, or perhaps they read a different story to me
Some found it hard to eliminate 2 pictures to tell retell the story
EVERYONE was engaged , talking with each other quietly about the story and the pictures.
Who needs ICT for “good” teaching and good learning to take place.

The post script to this post goes as follows.
Today on arrival to work I couldn’t access any of my work on my computer because my access rights have been denied. What a surprise! The technician worked on my computer to get my access rights back and access to my documents for 1.5 hours. As time ticked away, my stress levels rose. Just before the students came in, I did manage to think flexibly and do activity 2 cut and paste. The end result, an engaging, stress free and enjoyable day was had by all.
The post post script. It took the technicians 6.5 hrs to give me access rights to my files.

2 comments:

ianmac said...

Great work Jocelyn!

Marg said...

A great activity for them. How were the scissor skills?
I notice that many of our new entrants these days are not very adept at managing scissors. They have obviously not had ample opportunities to use them. They are more familiar with a mouse and click away happily.