I was out shopping last night and came across this local butcher's shop right in the heart of Al Ain. There is a meat market, as part of the food and produce market in another part of the city, however this was a stand alone butchers shop, basically situated in the fabric area. Al Ain resembles early day times where the shops seem to be clustered together in areas or streets eg women’s fabric and tailors, women’s ready made party dresses, men’s tailors and fabrics, (incidentally not close to each other) food and take outs, small shops selling tea and sandwiches, phones, electronics, banks, stationery, cars, department type shops, luggage etc.
Hanging in the window of this butcher's shop were 3 big beef carcasses and smaller goat or mutton carcasses, with much of the meat trimmed away. Getting close to the bone is the phrase that springs to mind. I'm uncertain what the customers purchase, however having attended a few Arabic meals I suspect the customer purchases the carcass as displayed in the window. I say this because at a meal there is a huge leg of meat on a bed of rice and the diners pick the meat off the bone. The meat is never carved as in the Western world. In door way of the butchery hung the huge thick plastic strips found on many butchery doors in supermarkets at home. Refrigeration??? Who knows? AC, definitely but window refrigeration or chillers? I didn't venture in. It was prayer time when I took the photo so the managers were Muslim. The Mosque is directly across the road and the 2 plastic chairs in front of the butchery, vacant. When I returned the managers were sitting on the two plastic chairs out the front, drinking tea and passing the time of day, as they do. Many of the smaller shops, especially in the smaller communities, have the plastic chairs out the front and people gather to chat and pass the time of day awaiting the next customer. On this occasion because I'm literally not a big meat eater, I hurried on by!
1 comment:
Vegetarian anyone?
Post a Comment