Today I went to “sit” with Salama, which means that we sit in her office space that she shares with other curriculum teachers, and we talk. Today we ate dates and drank Arabic tea. Salama explained the process of harvesting dates. The dates are ripening on the trees as I write, and most people have the nets around each and every bunch of dates to stop the birds and other associated pests attacking the crop. When the dates turn yellow or red, depending on the variety, from the green they currently are, it is time to cut down the branch.
The date branches are spread out to dry on the ground in the hot sun. ( 42 degrees at the moment, forecasted to get to 45 this week) They are covered with a fine material like that with which shaylas are made, again to stop the birds. As the moisture evapourates the dates slowly begin to caramelize and dry out. These dates are then put in a box and kept in the store room until used. Often new fresh dates are served at Ramadan or Eid’s.
Salama’s parents take morning coffee and eat dates before breakfast. Then again in the afternoon they repeat the process, coffee and dates. Dates are used in cake baking and bread making, to give flavor and texture. When ever a fasting period is broken, the Arabs begin with dates and yoghut and a light liquid. Dates too are processed for “honey” a thick syrup used again for cooking, medical purposes and in the olden days as an oil to defeat the enemies attempts to scale fort walls. Versatile and grown everywhere.
2 comments:
Mmmmm. Can I have a date with you?
Bring on the date scones - I can't go past them!
You must enjoy being able to sample all their date based goodies over there. I'm very envious.
Post a Comment