While personalised number plates are available in New Zealand they are not used in the UAE. Instead they used a different system of personalising number plates. The lower the digits on a number plate the more 'wasta", connections with the ruling family and or the more influential and affluent you are. The Sheikhs family don’t have numbers on the plates on their vehicles. In my time here I have seen cars with numbers 23 and 56 on their respective plates. Last night parked outside the restaurant at the end of my street was 135 and 554. The blurb in the middle also indicates which Emirate the car is registered in and if you are an Emirati citizen. My plate number is 95763, and I don’t have any Arabic numbers, so I’m fairly well down the ladder of affluence and influence. Also please note I drive a Mazda, not a Porche or a Lexus which also indicates my nationality and my affluence. But occasionally I do dine at the same restaurant, does that count?
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” Dr Seuss.
Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Number plates
While personalised number plates are available in New Zealand they are not used in the UAE. Instead they used a different system of personalising number plates. The lower the digits on a number plate the more 'wasta", connections with the ruling family and or the more influential and affluent you are. The Sheikhs family don’t have numbers on the plates on their vehicles. In my time here I have seen cars with numbers 23 and 56 on their respective plates. Last night parked outside the restaurant at the end of my street was 135 and 554. The blurb in the middle also indicates which Emirate the car is registered in and if you are an Emirati citizen. My plate number is 95763, and I don’t have any Arabic numbers, so I’m fairly well down the ladder of affluence and influence. Also please note I drive a Mazda, not a Porche or a Lexus which also indicates my nationality and my affluence. But occasionally I do dine at the same restaurant, does that count?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The trick is to get a photo taken while you reach out casually for the drivers doorhandle. Ah. The illusions.
Post a Comment