ADEC have decided on a universal teacher appraisal system, which has suddenly been sprung on principals and teachers to be completed by 25 May. The appraisal document and system is really robust and very good, in my opinion. The criteria is like a 4 point rubric, allowing teachers to score from foundation, emerging, established to high performing with indicators to each question inside 5 categories. The document covers teacher’s professionalism, the classroom , the curriculum, and the community. This is then followed by a class observation. It’s the speed with which they want the appraisal implemented that is breath taking.
Barbara my boss, our MA, management adviser, completed Miss Ibtesan’s last week. Now Miss Ibtesan the principal, has to complete the interview with all the teachers. The teachers have to bring along their portfolios, planning etc and strut their stuff. Each question is answered and supporting evidence shown from the portfolio. Miss Ibtesan has invited Barb to be present and the advisory staff of the teacher concerned. Today was Salama’s turn, and her interview is held in the lab so Miss Ibetsan can get a feel for the room, although she is no stranger to the classrooms. She frequently pops in for informal and formal observations . Salama is a lady of few words, succinct and straight to the point and she handled it all so well showing bits from her portfolio as evidence. Salama is also quite competitive, and naturally wanted to score high performing which of course she did. I was delighted for her and told I was thrilled to pieces for her, which I then had to interrupt as meaning better than humdalala. As Salama and I walked from the room her comment was “ oh the pressure I will be under to maintain high performing next year “!
Now over at the boy’s school….. if the principal would show up at school we may be able to start the process, but when his attendance is less than 30% it’s a case of inshallah.
1 comment:
I hear really good things about Salama. Great to have her to work alongside.
Meanwhile back in the jungle......
Post a Comment