Monday, November 23, 2009

Reflection: National Pride

I've been pondering the question, what is it about the UAE that fosters so much pride in the people? EVERYONE is into the celebrations of National Days in a big way. I can understand this if you are Emirati, this is your country. The late Sheik Zayed had such a vision for his people, and created systems and structures to make their life better, through education, health, housing, environmental management, resources and their management etc. But why do all the other nationalities present, especially the Muslim families who have now settled in UAE, love UAE with such a passion? To see slogans and the brochures the children are making at school all say I love UAE or we love our dear land? If you are Syrian, or Egyptiaan, or Moroccanor Lybian, or Lebanese or wahtever, what is it that makes you passionate about UAE and generates so much national pride?
Lots of these people have come and settled here for a better life style. My primary girls ICT teacher is Syrain and lived here for 19 years, immigrating here with her family when she was 8. The translators at my school are the same, they have come for the work, and yet they too have hearts and slogans and photos of the Sheik. In all the classrooms are photos of Sheik Zayed and the 3 other leaders, so national pride is very deep and strong. And then of course their are people like me who love lights, celebrations national pride etc. I guess its a bit like the Dr Seuss story about the Grinch Who Stole Christmas, and the Little Whos down in Whosville celebrated Christmas no matter what. Perhaps its that innate passion, perhaps being Muslim, because they all are, is a big factor? More questions than I have answers for.

No comments: