Saturday, August 22, 2009

A one in a 1.4 million meeting.



A long story here. Last year when I was in Abu Dhabi, Jenny and I were catching the bus to Dubai and going to the 7's rugby tournament. Buses leave from the bus station when they are full, about 20 mins apart. As Jenny and I went to get on the bus I asked if this was right bus to Dubai. As one would do who was not too familiar with bus catching and Arabic signs. A nice helpful young man behind us answered yes, showed us his ticket and casually said he was going to Dubai to watch the 7's. On the way up on the bus I suggested to Jenny when the bus got to the depot we'd suggest to the helpful traveler he may like to share a cab with us to the rugby. As the bus entered into the fringes of Dubai, it stopped and our young friend got out. I quickly asked if this was the rugby ground, to which he replied no, he was meeting his friend and they were driving together, and we were most welcome to come in the friend's car. So we got off the bus out side the Emirates Mall in Dubai, where ski Dubai is.
Mulham's (we were on first name basis by then) friend duly arrived in his new lexus car and we set off to the rugby. Both lads were Jordanian now living in the UAE. The friend took a wrong turn and we had an unexpected tour around Dubai as Mulham successfully navigated us back onto the main highway and to the rugby stadium. At the rugby stadium I took a photo of the two lads with Jenny.
Today I went down to Abu Dhabi and into Marina Mall with friends. While wandering around I saw this guy who looked so much like Mulham I stopped and asked. He remembered me instantly, and remembered I had come over for a job interview, traveling with my nurse friend etc etc. There are 1.4 million people in the Emirates. On my first day out by chance I meet up with a person I only got to know for an hour or so almost 10 months earlier.
Mulham is into music and had showed us the book for the 2008 / 2009 music festival season in Abu Dhabi. Today he offered to send me a copy of the programme for the coming season, which includes inside and outside concerts at the Emirate Palace Hotel, some free and some cos eg George Michael and Kylie Mignogue were playing when I was here last time. A bit out of my range, but the free concerts looks superb

1 comment:

About Us said...

Just catching up on your "Novel". I knew I should have jumped in your bag while I had the chance! : ) Thank goodness for your Blog, such a wonderful way to share this amazing journey with all your friends. I will look forward to reading it often.
Best wishes
Liz