Saturday, August 15, 2009

Day one



I have arrived in Al Ain after a 3 hr flight to Sydney, a transit of 4 hours and then a 15 hour flight direct to Abu Dhabi, followed by a 2 hours drive inland to Al Ain. So I'm traveled out. Temperature 46 degrees yesterday so they say. I do know I walked very quickly from the carpark, under the shade cloths to the doors of the Dwhadi Mall, a new huge complex here in Al Ain. And do the Emirates do malls.....

Firstly I'd love to thank the girls from Air NZ Blenheim who gave me a lovely bright green T shirt with a wonderful Kiwi Air NZ logo on the front, a reminder of home. And yes Justine, see I have worn it in public, once. More pics to come!

We flew all night and were able to watch an electrical storm taking place further out as we flew over the Equator. Spectacular to look at from a far, not so pleasant to travel through.

The newbies here in the hotel with the company all seem rather nice with a very familiar Kiwi accent. There are a smattering of Brits, a few Aussies, and a guy from Romania, heavily out numbered by people from Tauranga and Bay of Plenty. From my hotel balcony I look east to the hills of Oman, over a new section of the city. The red sand hills as you enter Al Ain are picturesque, and not at all in the need of raking... yet.

No comments: