Wednesday, November 16, 2011

International crafts

My Tu Xuong campus really involves the parent community in activities especially during International Week. I am impressed how each nationality involved in our school gets to share, show and celebrate their uniqueness, while being part of a global community.
Today is craft and games day. In our foyer many parents from the different nationalities have set up little stalls, allowing the children to learn about the crafts in a hands on way, and also allow the children to purchase the things they like and make. Everything has a 5,000 Dong price limit, approx 30 cents. Money raised goes towards our international charity we are supporting this year, child cancer research.
The South Koren parents are making their version of hacky sacks, made from paper filled at each side. Inside they roll up a plastic bottle top to give the sack some weight, and then you kick it and catch it on your shoe. Demonstration here from a wee sweetheart in foundation (kindy) class.


Handmade Vietnamese bookmarks. So beautiful

Ms Chow making dress up dolls

The Indian Mums are doing henna painting on the children's hands.I watched this Mum work. Her hands were so steady as she created a symmetrical design.

Top prize for intricacy goes to the gate guards at our school. They were making roses and grasshoppers from slivers of bamboo. The grasshoppers were particularly complex and involved


The Malysian community were making lovely decorations which also had an egg rolled up inside part of the decoration. This lady made beautiful roses and the egg became part of the leaf. The egg represented fertility and was given to a bride on her wedding. Hmmm I think we are a bit young for that at our school~!

Finally on my circuit before I rushed back to class was a Vietnamese man making animals from different coloured blocks of marzipan. As there were no elephants I passed on by, however I am tempted to go back and ask

One mustn't forget the lovely letter combinations for the key chains, watches and necklaces. Lots of bling which appealed to the older girls.
Such talented people sharing their knowledge and skills with the children.
I feel proud to be a community within a global community, respected for my individuality, and embraced within our generic school community.

No comments: