Saturday, November 05, 2011

A case of out with the old, in with the new


Today I am saying goodbye to my old travelling companion. Not only have my friend's corners become battered with age and use, their grip is coming a part, the casing broken, the handle and casing bent and the zip unravelling. The passport is almost due to expire. Today the final straw was when the wheel casing collapsed and the wheel is ready to drop off onto the road. My friend has become a wheel-less ( legless) liability. Together we have become older, travelled and weary. In my friend's case (pardon the pun) too tired to continue.
It's sad because I have become familiar with my friend's contours and foibles. We have a routine. The small top pocket nicely fits my jandals, the larger one is the place for my rain jacket and my books, mostly of the travel variety. The sloping exterior allows me to pack my toilet bag on one side and still fit everything in.
I reminisce. We have been together since 2004, and travelled thousands of kilometres around New Zealand. On the overseas circuit my friend and I have travelled to and around:
Australia
New Caledonia
UAE (in and out so many times. I have the xray stickers to prove it)
Oman (many times)
Bahrain
Sri Lanka
Jordan
Istanbul
Georgia
Prague
Kenya
Turkey
Vietnam
Kuala Lumpa
Thailand

2 comments:

ianmac said...

Perhaps like an old mare old Casey could put out to light duties.
A place to keep travel books.
Use as a jelly mould.
Grow lettuces in her.
Lined with plastic for use as a fish bowl.
A place to hoard your lollies.
As an adviser when planning future trips.
An elephant Park.
Hey. Just getting started.

ianmac said...

Oh. And Casey became so familiar that Custom officers around the world would glance at that bag, look up and say, "Hello. Jocelyn's back."