


This week I have been in and out of some of my boys classes just making myself visible and working with small groups of the boys. Some are quite inhibited and rather shy and would rather not have a great deal to do with me. They are polite and would rather not telling me in their best English that they only speak Arabic!. Remember I am the first female to work in a boys secondary school that is known about. Some are out there, like the lad with the yellow disdasha. He's a Grade 12 student. Some boys appear very mature with beards and facila hair. Unbeknown to me when we had our photos taken he was the towrag that started the fight the daybefore, victimising and bullying a new Parkistany lad. The abya has made a heap of difference re acceptance. Both the teachers and the students are pleased I'm making an effort to respect their culture. National pride being Emirati and respect are HUGE. I have always been proud to be a Kiwi. However I believe their pride in being a citizen of the UAE, because lots of them are of other nationalities and have lived here for possibly their life time, is different and exceedingly strong.
1 comment:
Well done with the run Jocelyn. That student in the yellow is a rather formidable looking chap! I do love the red 'jewels' on your black dress. These photos show it off well. That's a very good looking young man in the top photo. You must be finding it very interesting.
Post a Comment