
I'd like to introduce you to sisters Maha and Esad. I met Esad within the first week I was living in Al Ain. I went into the mall, and asked for directions to the bathroom from Esah. She works on a wee barrow in the mall selling candied nuts, sweets and Turkish Delight. I went back and thanked her, shuk ran in Arabic. She was thrilled that I was learning / speaking conversational Arabic. Each time I am in the mall I visit her stall and she gives me more phrases to learn, helps me pronounce the older ones correctly and generally tests my language. Not long after I starting working with her, she introduced me to her sister Maha who works at a small perfume barrow also in the mall. Visiting them, mostly on a Wednesday night has turned into a regular occurrence. Through them not only am I increasing my Arabic language but I am learning more about their life in UAE. So for the next few posts I'm going to regale their stories and their life.
2 comments:
What a marvelous opportunity to learn with and about the locals.
You're right Marg. It is great that Jocelyn is game enough to get to know the locals. It would be so much easier to just mix with the ex-pats. And what pleasant looking women Maha and Esad are.
Post a Comment