English books are hard to find and buy in Vietnam. There are 3 book shops that I know of in the city, that have a small to meagre range of books. Teachers leave and swap books at school, and a few Western patronised coffee shops in the An Phu district have a book swap. Of course the desirability of something that you can't have or have limited access to becomes huge, so I eagerly joined a kindle club. We all got to take turns choosing a book per month followed sometimes by some lively debate the following month. I was eager to join but felt somewhat cautious about joining wondering if I would enjoy other people's genre.While I understand the concept of bookgroups and being exposed to new authors and genres, sometimes in a group of random people with diverse tastes in life let alone books, it can be hard to reach a happy medium, on where to go for brunch, let alone good books. And then there are the personalities, the loud, the dominant etc.In this case I survived, and all the books, except 2 where I read over 60%, and got introduced to a new author.

Yesterday we met for the last time over a leisurely brunch at the Park Hyatt hotel where my book got voted best read for the year. Sunday brunches are a big happening thing here in HCMC. All the major hotels provide this option with free flow, and many of the smaller business do brunch as well.
Our group had an interesting rule, You had to read 25% of the book or provide the host for the book and the month, 2 bottles of nice wine. Sadly that rule never got evoked.
Our books for the year:
Vietnam the rising dragon. Bill Hayton. The political in-sights into the government and happenings in Vietnam. Mostly Hanoi based.
The Universe verses Alex Woods. Dealt with a younger boys friendship with an older man, and his support in euthanasia. Good read.
Little Daughter. A small girl growing up in the Karen tribe in Myanmar
The Moment. Douglas Kennedy. An American falls in love with a Starsi agent in Berlin. Fab read. I'm enjoying this man more as an author. Have also read Pursuit of Happiness.
Gentleman and players. My choice. Great read lots of twists
The Power of One. Bryce Courtney. Fab read
The Pianist. Life in the Jewish Ghetto in Warsaw.
90% of practically everything is carried in container ships. Sound boring but a great insight into Somali pirates, the seafarers union and life at sea. Interesting read.
And now I'm bereft, no books and no good kindle reads on the horizon.To be honest I still prefer the paper medium and turning pages. Books are so much easier around a pool! Back to square one. Although on this summer's holiday I do touch down in London where there are heaps of second hand book shops, with western books. Bring it on!
Yesterday we met for the last time over a leisurely brunch at the Park Hyatt hotel where my book got voted best read for the year. Sunday brunches are a big happening thing here in HCMC. All the major hotels provide this option with free flow, and many of the smaller business do brunch as well.
Our group had an interesting rule, You had to read 25% of the book or provide the host for the book and the month, 2 bottles of nice wine. Sadly that rule never got evoked.
Our books for the year:
Vietnam the rising dragon. Bill Hayton. The political in-sights into the government and happenings in Vietnam. Mostly Hanoi based.
The Universe verses Alex Woods. Dealt with a younger boys friendship with an older man, and his support in euthanasia. Good read.
Little Daughter. A small girl growing up in the Karen tribe in Myanmar
The Moment. Douglas Kennedy. An American falls in love with a Starsi agent in Berlin. Fab read. I'm enjoying this man more as an author. Have also read Pursuit of Happiness.
Gentleman and players. My choice. Great read lots of twists
The Power of One. Bryce Courtney. Fab read
The Pianist. Life in the Jewish Ghetto in Warsaw.
90% of practically everything is carried in container ships. Sound boring but a great insight into Somali pirates, the seafarers union and life at sea. Interesting read.
And now I'm bereft, no books and no good kindle reads on the horizon.To be honest I still prefer the paper medium and turning pages. Books are so much easier around a pool! Back to square one. Although on this summer's holiday I do touch down in London where there are heaps of second hand book shops, with western books. Bring it on!
4 comments:
Having managed to stuff up the first two attempts, here goes a third.
Can't beat having a real book to hold in your hands when reading. e-books are okay but just don't compare to the real thing!
I like e-books. I like the large print. I like real books too!
Post a Comment