Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The finale at Mahjong


Barbara and Sally. 
Barbara, Sonya and Sally.
I started learning and playing Mahjong the very first week I arrived in Vietnam. From day one I was addicted to the game, so much so that I have a Mahjong set  waiting at home for my arrival. Amazing what one can do at a distance on Trade Me. I love the thinking, decision making and strategy involved in the game.

Sally, my Mahjong teacher, became a great friend and travel companion over the ensuing 3 years. I taught Sonya and Barbara to play and we too have moved on to be great friends and travel buddies.

Sadly last night was the finale for our group, as is life in this fluid expat world. Barbara, Sonya and I are moving away, while Sally stays, as her family have relocated to Vietnam to live and work.
Sally organised a lovely supper of pizza and bubbles, and presented us with small gifts. She gave me a Mahjong bracelet with replicas of the tiles. Obviously it was a Feng Shui bracelet. Fitting for me that I should win on my last ever game in Vietnam.

No comments: