Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Saturday night fever.


Uyen, Tue and Loan. Teaching assistants
Thanh and Kris, my friend and colleague.
On Saturday evening the whole school gathers for a party, celebration and farewell opportunity. There are 4 campus's of British International School here in Ho Chi Minh City and everyone is invited so the numbers rise to about 600. As teachers and teaching assistants we are supported by a plethora of  people who are paid a pittance and work very long hours. Security guards,  maintenance staff, cleaners,  drivers, photocopy ladies,  resource people, the IT staff etc etc. Uncle Tom Cobley and all. The theme of the get together was Vespa / yellow and black. Everyone really got involved in the atmosphere of the evening. For me it was a chance to say goodbye to some lovely people I have met and worked alongside. The Vietnamese people are humble, quiet and hard working, even for the low wages they earn. As I reflect on occasions such as these I know I shall miss my time amongst these people. This has been a fabulous experience, one I am reluctant to give up and sad to say goodbye too.
Memories of the night:
The costumes
How elegant some of the Vietnamese ladies were in their dresses and gowns
How different people look out of their uniforms
The guards using a vase filled with beer as a yard glass
People coming to say hello and good bye
The videos made for the leavers.

I will not be sad to leave behind the British binge drinking culture, especially obvious at occasions such as these. While most people are British and everyone likes a drink,  small groups of Brits just seem to over do it, drinking themselves into a paralytic state. This is then followed by the graphic details and boosting all next day. Its almost like a sport. 

No comments: