Sunday, June 08, 2014

A day out with Tue and Uyen

Tue (Tway) and Uyen (Win) are my two teaching assistants. Part of my role is mentoring and coaching them. The idea is that they can then go on to train as teachers and go off to one of the school's new flagship schools that have a dual curriculum, half in Vietnamese and half in English. However these flagship schools are in Hanoi, and neither Uyen or Tue want to go and live in Hanoi. There appears to be quite a dividing line. Those that are from the south tend to stay in the south.
I see it that we are a team, each of us with a definite skill set and strengths. I believe we compliment and support each other, I just happen to be the leader of the team. I know I couldn't do my job to the level that I do, as these 2 take responsibility for some of the small things that take heaps of time. Both are good with the technology and keep it charged, Uyen is very creative and makes fantastic wall displays. Both are superb with the new or slower children.  The three of us have fab ideas and know how to use a heap of different tools and applications. Sad but true I'm the best at planning,  writing it down and record keeping. How sad is that! I may not be the best, the other 2 have enough sense to avoid that side of the day!
 

Periodically we go out for a day which always involves food. We're all good at eating! This adventure was to District 7 for coffee and viewing the yellow duck, followed by lunch at a local Vietnamese restaurant. Tue and Uyen rode their bikes and I went as pillion on the back of Tue's bike. We rode down the main highway to Mekong Delta which I have done a few times before.  It can be a white knuckle ride with all the traffic hurtling along the one road, and no side lanes for bikes. Tue is a very slow and careful driver and I felt really safe..

Lunch was at a Hue restaurant. Hue is the capital of the middle of the country, around where the 17th parallel and the DMZ was. Each area specialises in different types of food. We ate amongst other foods, bun bo Hue. This was a pancake type, of jelly with shrimps on top, Hue noodles and meats cooked as they do in Hue. A fab time out with great people.





1 comment:

Izzy said...

You have made some lovely friends over there and will be sorry to leave them I'm sure, when the time comes to depart.