Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Preparing my room for International week

I am just so amazed how the whole school, teachers, parents, students, and community, get in behind and support International Week. While the staff begin the proceedings the parent community really take over and drive it. Having said that, there is definite rivalry between the parents of various nations. Vietnam, India and Sth Korea seem to battle it out, possibly trying to out do each other. The parent community help decorate rooms and corridors, provide food for our international buffet on Wednesday lunchtime and provide extra curricula crafts all day Wednesday for the children. So here I am the lone Kiwi preparing and organising my room. I have noticed the general fascination and inquiries when I wear my Maori colour T shirt from students and staff. People stop and ask is that my language, what does it mean and then practice a few colours. Over the course of my time in Vietnam I have learnt the usual standard phrases, good morning, goodbye, please thank you etc. However my TA Tue, not shown in this pic, and the tech guys who live in the next door room have been helping / teaching me other phrases eg Please come I help help with the computers, is the main one. This week they have voluntarily learnt some Maori language kia ora, harere ra, and tena koe. During the course of the day if we should meet I notice they drop into the conversation a kia ora, or tena koe. Just as they are delighted I am trying Vietnamese, I too am delighted with their attempts over International Week to be try my language. Together we are global citizens of this world.

2 comments:

ianmac said...

Kapai!

Izzy said...

I am very impressed with the high level of parent involvement in the many and varied special focus weeks that happen in your school. Parent involvement seems to be far greater than in N.Z. Ka Tino Pai.