When my friend Jenny was in HCMC we met Tue one of my
teaching assistants for a meal of pho, the renown Vietnamese soup. In her time
in Vietnam Jenny had successfully battered for a Vietnamese coffee filter so
she could have café sua nom, hot coffee with milk. You place a dollop of
condensed milk in the bottom of the cup, and pour hot water over the coffee
granules. The coffee drips through the filter into the cup. However the filter
wasn’t actually working properly. Over our pho lunch Jenny mentioned this to
Tue, who comes from the coffee growing area in Vietnam. Tue was able to tell
Jenny that she was using filter coffee. He then took us to a particular coffee
outlet shop for the real deal.
Periodically I meet with Tue for coffee and we discuss all
sorts of issues and subjects. Today was one of those days. Our discussions go
beneath the surface and I discover
about life and times for the Vietnamese in Vietnam. The period from the end of the war to 1986 was brutal for the people with rationing, searches, queues for transport and food stuffs. In 1986 the beginning of the doi moy period, when the government opened its borders and doors to " free marketing". Even today restrictions still apply, which includes overseas travel, motorbike ownership and purchasing, identity cards. While I'd like to embellish on these topics, one is mindful and even wimpish. This is not my country......... and these people are my friends.
Would Tue swap his life for mine? No, he misses not talking Vietnamese and mixing with Vietnamese people. No, family is a strong bond. However occasionally he'd like to peep into my world, and take stock of our clean green and environmentally beautiful image, enjoying the countryside, the forests and the quietness, and may be just maybe on a day like today some cold!
Would Tue swap his life for mine? No, he misses not talking Vietnamese and mixing with Vietnamese people. No, family is a strong bond. However occasionally he'd like to peep into my world, and take stock of our clean green and environmentally beautiful image, enjoying the countryside, the forests and the quietness, and may be just maybe on a day like today some cold!
I admire Tue for his openness answering my questions. I begin to realise how fortunate I am to live in a democratic
country, something so often I take for granted. How fortunate I am to
have rights and choices and to be able to action these.
No comments:
Post a Comment