"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” Dr Seuss.
Thursday, November 08, 2012
My brother and the hat saga
Melbourne Cup Day and everyone at my brother's office dressed in an outrageous costume and wore a Melbourne Cup Day hat, silly or otherwise, to listen to the race.
My brother is an accountant, so rather than wear a costume he wore a "silly hat". However the hat is not so silly if you live in Lesotho, South Africa. My father used to coach rugby and while traveling in Africa 36 years ago some little boys gave him this hat.
My dad had been away for about 6 weeks, leaving my Mum home to run the farm through the lambing season. Six weeks seemed an age back then. Mum and I went to Wellington airport to meet my Dad. We stood and watched everyone disembarking from the plane. My Mum was standing back from the window and not watching the passenger dis-embarking. Was she nervous? I will never know. More and more people came off the plane without a sign of my Dad. I'm thinking where is my Dad? Did he miss the flight? Suddenly I remember seeing the pointy bit of the hat appear through the plane door way, followed by the head of my father. Relief swept over both Mum and I Once outside the plane doorway my dad was able to straighten up, as he was tall and had to stoop to get through the plane doorway. He wore the hat home from South Africa and the hat has been in our family ever since. Thank you for sharing the photo with me. My brother rocks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
A bright light under a lampshade?
Post a Comment