

For a long time now I've wanted to learn to play Mahjong and now that I'm in Asia the time is right. The Vietnamese don't play Mahjong, they play checkers instead. However there is enough of a Chinese influence around here for Mahjong players, groups and clubs to flourish. Jeff's friend Sally is our teacher and last night was our first lesson. I just loved the game, and it has nothing to do with the fact that I won 3 of the 4 games!
Mahjong is a game of tiles, with 3 suites like cards and then the picture cards, flowers, dragons and winds. I think the most complicated part of Mahjong is learning all the types of hands you can play. Sally has a book with 50 pages in it which gives pictorial images of the types of hands you can build. We learnt the Philospher and basic Mahjong, making puns, chows, kongs and pairs.Although Sally talked about scoring we haven't quite got that far.....I am guessing that although I won a game, I could well be beaten in points by the types of hands people had, and the flowers and their winds. That's another lesson. Lesson one and I'm hooked.
2 comments:
Oi! How about a simple game of draughts?
A girl after my own heart! I have been wanting to learn the game for a while. However, I recently looked it up on the web and yes, the rules and even different versions' rules were all there - BUT - it seemed very complicated to say the least. Far better to be learning from a real person. Good luck.
Post a Comment