Friday, September 23, 2011

Fond memories of my Mum


My Mum passed away very suddenly but peacefully on 7th September. Her health had been deteriorating slowly over the last two and a half years, almost the whole time I have been away over seas. While I am sad, I still hold the memories of an active lady who I saw about a month before I flew out. We talked often about the adventures I was having, and she, always sounding very alert, asked many questions. Her last question to me on the subject of living in Vietnam was "what's it really like there?" Of course the highlight for us both was my pending trip back to NZ to discuss Gallpoli where her dad, my Grandfather was stationed during the ANZAC period. Sadly she has passed on leaving me with lots of unanswered questions around that topic.
As I reflect on the death of a parent I find things slipping into two categories. The fond memories. Memories of a childhood, of a mother and the passing of a wise lady. The second is all the unanswered questions, the opportunities not taken up. For example my mother used to tat and crochet, a skill I never really took up and one she didn't teach me to any great substance. Neither of us showed any great inclination over time. Now I'm in Vietnam taking an extra curricula group after school, doing hand stitching, embroidery and crocheting!
I guess there’s always Google!
Technology helped me keep in touch, and it allowed my Mum to peep into my world, on this side of the world, and to know a little about... "what it really is like there!"

No comments: