Sunday, September 25, 2011

Fruit market





About 500 m down the road from my apartment is a local Vietnamese market. Under quite a large roof, taking up a whole block, is a maze of very small stalls, piled to the rafters with merchandise and produce. The goods seem to be clustered, fabrics, clothess, bedding, fruit, meat etc. You weave in and between the rows of goods, supervised mostly be women, sitting on stools, talking, eating and attempting to sell their goods. In the centre of the city by the tourist area is the huge Ben Than market, so my local market is much smaller and servicing the needs of the local people, and me! I mostly walk down to buy fruit. I'm yet to brave local cuts of meat, fresh cat fish etc. Today I faniced fresh pineapple which costs 11,000 - 12,000 Dong, the equivalent of 50 cents. I have long been fascintaed by the curls through the pineapple and today I snapped this series of pictures as the lady "manicured" my pineapple for me.

2 comments:

ianmac said...

50 cents? Wow! And ready cut! It is a huge pineapple too. Nice idea to capture the detail of "The Cutting."

Dave Parsons said...

Man, that is one big knife .... to go with the one big pineapple !!
What a skillful lady!