
I had such fun yesterday with Grade 1. They really are a totally different bunch of kids. They display that energetic enthusiasm that new students start school with before they get "moulded" into a school system. Although in fairness many of these wee sweethearts probably started at our school in foundation or kindergarten classes, so they have been part of the system for 2 or 3 years.
The teaching assistants bring the students along to my lab, and line them up quietly outside on the verandah before they come into the lab. I'm not sure if it was co-incidential or not, may be this particular class had been to music before ICT. You could hear them coming down the verandah, singing the Irish Rovers song The Unicorn. There were green alligators and long necked geese
Some humpty backed camels and some chimpanzees
Some cats and rats and elephants etc.
I know Noah had problems with the noise the animals made in the ark and getting the animals to come together in twos. However I would guess his problems were nothing compared to this lively bunch to keep quiet and line up. Frankly Noah would have pulled his hair out with all the commotion... and the kids sang on. I stood in my lab and enjoyed the whole unfolding scene, behind the closed door....... and the kids sang on. Various teaching assistants tried their darndest along with a couple of teachers .... and the kids sang on. They didn't shout, instead were happily immersed in their song. At the end of the song, everything went quiet and in their came. One could be forgiven for thinking here were Grade 1 making their mark....all in their own time. You just gotta love them.
The whole episode reminded me so much of the Sir Ken Robinson video / You Tube about schools robbing children of their creativity. If I had the technology, the courage and the students longer than the regulation 45 minutes and it wasn't last period in the day I'd have got the children making podcasts...... They did come in and express their creativity with Kid Pix instead, but not drawing animals!
1 comment:
We all love a bit of light-hearted anarchy. Go the kids!
Post a Comment